Thursday, October 19, 2006

It's not what you know....

Everyone knows the old adage... "It's not what you know. It's who you know." From the researching I've done into the MBA application process it seems that you actually need both components to succeed.

The application deadlines for me still seem far off (Oct '07). But, yesterday I was thinking about the recommendation letter from peers and colleagues, and it might be closer than it seems! I was reading a Business Week B-School journal from Hussein Kanji. He states the following -
Even though I didn't turn in the applications until the last minute, I did prepare a nice "kit" for each of my recommenders in early August. For busy executives, that is a must-have as it gives them a nice frame for what to put into your essays

I will follow his steps and create such a kit for my recommenders. That means I literally have 10 months left!

Also, it is important to cultivate relationships with people you respect and who are respected. CEOs and other high profile recommenders may have trouble making you look good in their recommendation letter, if they don't really know you. Make a plan to interact with these people before you ask them for a recommendation. That way you don't look like a chump!

I already have a good idea of who I want to be my recommenders for the MBA process. Now I have to start thinking about how to prepare that kit and how to further "ripen" our relationship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home