Thursday, April 12, 2007

Finally back!!

I'm not sure what was happening for a while there. I couldn't log onto this site to make changes. It could have been blogger specific, or something to do with my work connection, I'm not sure.

The good thing is: I'm back!

Many things to update you on. I did take the GMAT on February 28th, 2007. I came out with what looks like a good score, 720. But, at the same time I'm worried about how I acheived it.

The GMAT main score is acheived through 2 calculations, one on your quant and one on your verbal. While preparing for the GMAT I understood that your score can be influenced more on the basis of the verbal score. This is due to so many non-native English speakers taking the test. It seems that all these non-native speakers have lowered the percentages on the verbal section. On the other hand, the quant section has increased it's competitiveness. From what I read, this is due to so many technical types (read: Indian Engineers) taking the exam and blowing the roof off the quant section. So, to sum it up theoretically, while missing 4 questions on the verbal section places you in the 90 percentile, missing 4 on the quant places you in the 70 percentile. (I'm making these numbers up because I don't know their real values, but the concept exists!).

This brings me back to my score. 720 sounds great (96 percentile), but it is composed of a 98 percentile verbal and a 73-ish percentile in quant. I'm worried that admissions officers will examine this discrepency and conclude that I'm not as technically apt. This is a tough call, but I will just have to prove myself out through my essays.

Any feedback from others about their feelings on this topic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home